Monday, January 17, 2011

Fuel Crisis

My new Jeep had a little fuel problem...I could only pump in 11 gallons of gas at the most. That left me with only 150-mile range. Not cool, Dave. Every time I crawled under the Jeep to work on something I just stared at the tank confused at how such a big tank could hold so little fuel.

Well, last week I could take it no more. I yanked down the tank and had a look inside. Turns out the vent tube that allows flush-back to shut off the gas pump turned down inside the tank so that the opening was only halfway up. That means I could only fill half the tank. Even worse; it was designed that way! I know because the fuel level sender was maxed out half way up!

I cut the vent line and reinstalled it pointing up with some 1/2-inch fuel line and hose clamps I had in my toolbox.

Today I pulled the fuel pump and extended the fuel level sender float arm. I cut the aluminum arm and crimped in about 6 inches of steel vacuum line, which allowed the float to reach close to the top of the tank about the time it hit the upper stop.

It worked out great! I increased my usable fuel load from 11 gallons to 24.5 gallons, increased my range to 350 miles and made my fuel gauge accurate all without spending a penny!

5 comments:

Melly said...

Most of what I read there was Bla-Bla-Bla but in the end I understand what you were able to do and ya...your amazing!

Tricky Trix said...

I'm continually amazed at what a genius I have for a son! Love you.

Kevin and Ashley said...

That is awesome! Looks Like the gas station is going to be a little less crowded now.

The Tiffany's said...

Ingenious!!

skdesertfun said...

sweet, that is going to come in real handy off road.

Scotty