Thursday, April 9, 2009

My New Rig

Our old computer tower was starting to get a little flakey, so back in February I decided I should work on a replacement. Peggy kindly agreed to let me build a new system for my anniversary gift and here's the result:

Full height tower with five 120mm fans (very quiet)
nVidia 680iLT SLI motherboard
Intel Q6700 Core 2 Quad processor at 2.6Ghz
Ultra modular 800-watt power supply
8Gb OCZ DDR2 SLI-Ready memory running at 1600MHz
Two Seagate 1.5 Terabyte Hard Drives
~ One with Windows Vista 64 Premium
~ One with Ubuntu Linux (Yay!)
LG Super-Multi DVD Burner with LightScribe
15-way flash memory reader

~ AND THE BEST PART....
Two BFG GTX280-OC graphics cards in SLI mode!


This monster is giving me video frame rates (in games) of up to 300 frames per second at max settings and 1680x1050 resolution! Even in very texture intensive scenes, I'm still seeing right around 200 fps. Can you say smooooooth?

I guess it's a good thing I built a new PC when I did. Just as I got Windows installed on the first hard drive, the drive in the old computer (with all our pics and data on it) crashed and wouldn't boot anymore. Luckily I was able to connect the crashed hard drive to the new computer and rescue all our data. I connected the drive externally and was able to move it around to a position where it would spin up. Even though it wouldn't boot, I managed to copy our data and settings off and incorporate them into the new computer! It took all day though, and the drive was making scary grinding and squeaking noises all along the way. Even luckier is that none of the data seems to be corrupted. Whew!



3 comments:

Speer Family said...

You are so amazing Ron!! What a blessing that you were able to recover all your pictures and stuff. You rock. We're excited to see you all on Sunday!!

Love ya!

Tricky Trix said...

Looks great! I don't understand much except that it must be FAST!

skdesertfun said...

Sounds like a super sweet machine.