Friday, February 17, 2012

25th Anniversary Trip, Day 7

Having never been to Aruba, the tour company thought it would be a great idea to put me behind the wheel of a Land Rover Discovery loaded with tourists.  Okay, you caught me, I asked (or more appropriately...begged, politely)!  I highly recommend this tour for any of my brothers or brothers-in-law that come to Aruba - or my sisters, for that matter!

We had a great drive round the island including cruising the city, traversing the island, stopping at a natural bridge, checking out an old gold smelter, a wild donkey sanctuary and having a snorkel on the windward (dangerous!) side of the island.  The best part, however, is that most of it took place in a national park which is also a fun ORV park!  Yay for off-roading!

We spent the afternoon having a great local lunch and doing some shopping.  After boarding the ship we dressed for our second formal night and enjoyed escargots, lobster and shrimp for dinner.  Excellent!  Every evening has been a chocolate-hazelnut-fueled rocket ride and tonight was no exception.  My dessert was a chocolate hazelnut souffle with hot whiskey sauce.  It's three hours since dinner and I'm still smiling.  The pastry chef must be my soul mate.  I wonder if I can talk Peggy into another wife?

Haha!  Behind the wheel with 6 tourists along for the ride!

Anyone recognize the sign in the sand?

Natural Bridge

Gold smelter made to look like a fort to scare off pirates

Donkeys getting the best of Peggy

This seemed like a safe place to snorkel, so we did!

Down by the beach on the windward side.

Climbing back up from the beach

Our guide blew a tire on his rig (yes, I helped fix it).
~

2 comments:

John Conover said...

Love it! I'm sure you were a better driver than your guide. ;)

The Tiffany's said...

haha! did they ask you to come live down there and be a guide?? THAT would be so fun!