Monday, March 23, 2009

Two posts in one day? What's wrong with me?

I had to mention that I've added a couple of tunes to my playlist. They're from Material Issue, one of my favorite bands of the 90's. I started getting hooked on them back in the early 90's And then after a while I never heard from them again. I recently was reminded of them by some other music I heard and started looking into what happened to them.

After a bit of Googling I ran across some interviews of the band members and blogs of people that were their friends back then. Turns out that the lead singer, Jim Ellison, killed himself back in the mid-90's. Over an ex-girlfriend. What a waste.

Jim was the primary songwriter of the 3-piece band, and according to accounts I read he would just show up one day with a song he wrote and say "This is going to be our biggest hit ever." Then the next day he'd show up with another song and say the exact same thing about the new one. Turns out he was usually right and almost all the songs were worthy of a single. Without Jim the other band members didn't want to continue with Material Issue and moved on.

I miss them. Have a listen to tracks 66 and 67.
~

1 comment:

The Tiffany's said...

It was a good band... hmm was Valerie the one he died for?? :0) It's a good song!
So is Whiskey in the Jar... that just came on! Metallica has some MAD skills!